Monday, September 5, 2011

Ellen DeGeneres on the importance of female inventors

In the October issue of Glamour, I found this great snippet by Ellen DeGeneres taken from her new book Seriously...I'm Kidding:

"I'm Very Proud To Be a Woman"

The bra. Disposable diapers. Liquid Paper. Windshield wipers. Chocolate chip cookies. What do all of these things have in common? They were all invented by a woman. Not the same woman. They were each invented by a different woman over the course of the  last hundred years or so. Ant those are just a few of the things that female ladies have invented. The list goes on and includes things like the dishwasher, Spanx, and perhaps one the the greatest inventions of our time, the trash can with a foot pedal. We take so many of these things for  granted, and yet without the women who invented them, we would be filthy people with soiled dishes, disgusting cans and unruly breasts. Maybe at some point we won't have to break success down along gender lines. Maybe we'll just be able to say this wonderful, creative person did something extraordinary. But until then, I'm proud to be part of the sisters who are doin' it for themselves.

Pretty cool!

Women Inventors are certainly in the spot light at the moment but I do agree with Ellen, I hope we won't have to break success down along gender lines. Yes, I am a Woman. And a Mom. And an Inventor. But most of all, I am driven, passionate and blessed. Male or Female, you can't ask for more than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment